Philadelphia Shafting Works
George Vaux Cresson (1836-1908) was one of those Philadelphians with a long pedigree both in the city and in manufacturing. The first Cresson moved to Philadelphia in 1696, the widow and children of Jacques Cresson moving to 4th and Chestnut Streets. Her sons James and Solomon carried on the name. George was from the eighth generation of Philadelphia Cressons, the son of William Penn Cresson, a machinist and manufacturer of great success. George served his machinist apprenticeship at Bement & Dougherty, at the northwest corner of 20th and Callowhill Streets before taking over his father's foundry with a partner at 12th and Noble Streets in 1859. In 1866 he moved to the southeast corner of 18th and Hamilton Streets and became sole proprietor of the Philadelphia Shafting Works. He apparently looked around the neighborhood, at Bement and Sellers, and realized he should give up making machines and stick to the shafting, becoming one of the first specialists in shafting. Of course, Bement and Sellers also made shafting along with their massive machines, but all of them prospered, and Cresson outgrew the space and moved about two miles north to Allegheny and 18th in 1888. In the 1894 Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce publication The City of Philadelphia as it Appears in the Year 1894 there was a section devoted to Philadelphia businesses that were the largest of their types in the world, ten of which were manufacturers. Cresson was the largest power machinery factory. Other title holders connected to our neighborhood included Baldwin (locomotives) and Stetson (hats). Around 1910 the Cresson company was merged with Morris Engineering (formerly Morris, Tasker, & Company) and seems to have faded out by the mid-1920's. Cresson died in 1908 at his country home, Caversham House, in Elkins Park.
Advertising lithograph of the William Penn Cresson foundry in 1847, Willow above 13th Street, shortly after opening.
Portion of Hexamer insurance map from 1879 of the Cresson plant at the southeast corner of 18th and Hamilton Streets.
Portion of the 1888 City Atlas showing the Cresson plant at the southeast corner of 18th and Hamilton Streets. The property extended from Hamilton to Pennsylvania Avenue.
An example of shafting in a machine shop, this example being a series of lathes in the Sellers shop at 17th and Hamilton Streets, with Sellers equipment. A stationary steam engine somewhere in the building would turn a shaft, and this shaft would be connected by gears and pulleys to dozens of machines. Individual electric motors at each machine would eventually replace this system.
Advertisement for shafting equipment from Cresson.
The variety allowed for different speeds, forces, and locations of machinery.
For a shafting exhibit in our neighborhood, see the article on the Carpenters Museum here (and visit the museum for free).
The much larger facility at 18th and Allegheny Streets.
The main building was 500 feet long with an unobstructed view along the entire length. There was rail access, as at 18th and Hamilton Streets, for bringing in coal and ore and shipping out product.
The sequence of events after Cresson moved out is the typical sequence for the neighborhood: an iron industry needs more room and moves elsewhere; Baldwin Locomotive Works (BLW) takes over the vacated buildings; BLW moves out in 1926 and the buildings are demolished or converted to warehouses; the warehouses are torn down just before the Franklin Town project is announced; surface parking lots survive for decades on the vacant lots.
The same happened at 18th and Hamilton Street, although the Tabor Manufacturing Company moved into the northern half of Cresson's lot (the real estate still in the Cresson family). There is nice photographic documentation of the Callowhill Cut dig next to the building on the southern half of the parcel.
Photo of the southern face of the building at 18th and Pennsylvania Avenue in 1898. The building has been stripped of its brick facing and shored up as the 25-foot deep trench is dug.
1898 photo looking west from 17th Street.
The retaining wall alongside the three-story building on the right is nearly completed.
Photo from December 1898 looking up 18th Street from just south of the new bridge. The buildings on both sides are gorgeous!
Portion of the 1909 City Atlas showing the Tabor Manufacturing Company at the southeast corner of 18th and Hamilton Streets. Tabor made light metal molds, and its president was Wilfred Lewis, who had spent his early career in the Sellers Machine Works one block away at 17th and Hamilton Streets. Tabor would also outgrow the neighborhood and move just south of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.
The Lit Brothers warehouse on the right just beyond the 17th Street bridge was demolished in the early 1980's, to be replaced by a Community College of Philadelphia parking garage. The siding ramp on the left is still there. The wall on the right has been retained (get it?) and is still the lowest retaining wall on the Callowhill Cut.
Very large George Vaux Cresson family plot on prime real estate in Laurel Hill Cemetery, overlooking Cresson Avenue and Vaux Street in East Falls..
The southeast corner of 18th and Hamilton Streets today.
Hamilton Street ends at 19th today, but this is where it would be.
authored by Joe Walsh